Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Day 3 - Three meals on a $100 weekly food budget

Another successful day on our food budget. Here is a look at today's menu:

This morning we had oatmeal with cinnamon & brown sugar and a berry smoothie (whole milk, blueberries and strawberries). The blueberries and strawberries were in my freezer. I love "shopping" my kitchen!

For lunch we had grilled cheese, orange slices and celery. The kids didn't have a snack today, by choice. Haley had some tea with me this afternoon. I snacked on oranges and left over Shepherd's pie, though :) The baby especially enjoyed it.

For dinner we enjoyed chicken (I cooked these ahead of time, and then set them to low in the crockpot before hubby came home. I tossed them in a mixture of dressings from the fridge while they were in the crockpot). I sauteed fresh garlic and onion in a pan, and mixed it into brown rice with a little soysauce. We also had diced potatoes that were baked with green onions and various seasonings. Absolutely delicious!

 We had plenty of dinner left over to pack for hubby's lunch tomorrow :)

As you can see, having a smaller food budget does not mean you have to succumb to processed foods. In fact, we eat far less processed foods now! I haven't really done much couponing either. If I see a coupon for something I know we actually like, then I'll use it. The savings is all in planning and preparation!

No comments:

Post a Comment